Monday, July 11, 2011

My Salvation Pt 1

I want to do a series of story essays that tell the story of how God saved me and changed my life.
This is the first of many or at least a few. Please read and enjoy.



I was  probably about six at the time. It was Palm Sunday, 1999, and that means I was six or about to be six. I could look at an old calendar, but I just remember my baby brother and the Easter egg hunt which was the week before Easter at the church my family went to at that time. My dad was the youth pastor, I think. He definitely was the youth pastor there at some point, but I am not sure if he was then or not. And my older sister, Bec, was eight at the time. We were both pretty smart kids, reading five to six hundred page novels. We loved British books. I guess I was in first or second grade. I am not too good at remembering timelines, but I can approximate; I do know I was a grade ahead of kids my age. We were all homeschooled for most of our childhood, but eventually I went to Christian private school, a charter school, a magnet school, and a public school. That all comes later.
It was pretty early that Sunday morning, and we were dressed nicely because it was the kind of church where you did not just wear jeans and a t-shirt. Not to mention it was Palm Sunday service. It was a weird thing that involved palm fronds and I don’t know the details, but I am glad I was young and got to do Sunday School instead. Well Bec and I, although she was Rebecca then, were out on the back porch talking. She was explaining Jesus to me as best she could. I think children are extremely lucky being able to just accept things that would seem crazy to any rational adult. Child like faith and all. I imagine it went something like this.
“So God loves people?” I asked.
“Yes.” She said, “But people are evil because we sin, and God is good and He hates sin.”
“So He hates evil, and we are evil but He loves us?”
“Yes. See He has this son whose name is Jesus. He came as a baby and then grew up and
He died to pay for our sins so we wouldn’t be evil and God could love us again.”
“Well that sounds good.” I said. And I knew there was a God, and I knew I did bad things so it all made sense to me. “So what do I have to do?”
“Just pray and tell God that you’re sorry you sinned and that you are gonna let Jesus pay for your sins and that you love Him and you won’t sin anymore.”
“Ok. I want to do that. How does the prayer work?”

She told me to repeat after her, and we said the sinner’s prayer and I was saved. Then we went to church and later I told my parents and they were very happy.
I guess that was when I was saved, but I don’t know that my life changed very much because of it. Well Jesus did change my life, a lot, actually. But that came later.

No comments:

Post a Comment