Sunday, July 1, 2012

Already Dead



This is a clip from the HBO miniseries, Band of Brothers.
I think the spiritual implications are vast, but I will focus one just one.

 

As Christians, we can be paralyzed by fear. We do not believe that "to die is gain" and so we cannot accept that "to live is Christ." In order to be like Christ, we must be willing to live to bring glory to the Father and be willing to die to build his church. But we are not.
The lieutenant tells his solider, "The only way for a soldier to not be afraid of wars is to accept the fact that he is already dead… the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you’re already dead, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you’ll be able to function as a soldiers supposed to function.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

By accepting Christ, we have died to this world. We are no longer citizens of earth. We are dead.
Our churches and leaders have taught us to not die, to avoid discomfort, to seek security, stay away from anything that is too risky.
The very reasons we don't do the crazy, impractical things God tells us to do. What is going to happen to me? What am I going to lose? What will people think of me? What will it cost me? Those are all avoidance of death.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

“Death has been swallowed up in victory..." Christ has conquered death. 

Jesus said, "In me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

So let's not be afraid of dying. Fear God, not man; if God is with you, none can stand against you. We can be radical disciples, who live and die for the glory of God. But only if we accept that we are already dead. 

To live is Christ, to die is gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment